Disclaimer- This is only a very basic guide, please consult a licensed electrician for specific applications. Tool damage from undersized orpoor quality power devices may void warranty. The size(wattage) neededdepends on the tool and inverter, generator or transformer. Firstto clarify terminology- an inverter converts 12 (or 24) V DC, usually from a vehicle into 120 Hz AC (household current). A generator converts a fossil fuel (typically gasoline, diesel or natural gas)into household current, and a step down transformer converts one voltage into another (typically, 240Vto 120V- to use aNorth American tool in Europe etc). Generally anything with an electricmotor (drills, saws, etc) is going to require roughly2-3 times the tool's "amp" rating for initial start up. Some tools that can soft start (VSR drills) require less initial power than an air compressor, which are notoriously difficult to get going. To figure out wattage- multiply the amp rating by 120 (in North America). For example, a table or miter saw rated at 15 amps will require around 1800 watts continuous, thus a 2500 watt generator, inverter or transformer would be the absolute minimum, with a larger unit being ideal. Also keep in mind- inverters, generators and transformers have widely differing designs and power quality.
Articles in this section
- What size Power Inverter, Transformer or Generator is needed to run my corded power tool?
- How can I look up a Canadian service center near me?
- Where can I find the plans for building a Lean-to-Shed, that were previously listed on the Black & Decker website?
- Quel est le temps de chargement du cultivateur sans fil CTL36?
- What is the charge time for the CTL36 Cordless Tiller?
- Even though Ive confirmed that I have the correct catalog/model number for my tool, why cant I seem to find it on the site?
- Why do I keep receiving a prompt to Verify My Address when the information Ive entered is correct?
- Where can I find the most up-to-date part numbers, parts pricing, and/or parts availability for my tool(s)?
- How do I find manuals, parts lists, and/or exploded views on DEWALT ServiceNET?
- Can the unit be submerged in salt water or fresh water?